Saturday, March 10, 2012

Apple stores, perhaps, because of Apple record profit, degrading last year significantly. Now our store crowded with lot of apple people, all of them busy checking their iPads walking from one to another. But this is all idle work. I have appointment, I came 15 minutes early - several Apple employee came by and ask me about my appointment and check something in their iPad, any way I had to wait and wait - 30 minutes after my appointment. I waste about hour! During this time I observe how all this blue shorted Apple sales just circling around from one to another very busy checking something in their iPads, I count about five full circles they did while I wait when some will give me some help. Funny part was that at this time of the day it was quite few customers, about three times less them Apple employes most of them were waiting as well as me.

This is like cray illustration from Parkinson book. More staff - less work, because staff reach critical mass when they just keep busy them self and have no time for real business to do. It also does not look like they were socializing - they discuss some important matters, check each other, synchronize effort etc... And customers with appointment had to wait about half hour to got some attention.

Few years ago when I walk in Apple store someone come by and do all what I need from start to finish. Now with four times more people one register me at entry, another do check when I inside, another keep monitoring if I someone talk to me already until person who actually do what I need came by and help. This is in deed Parkinson laws in action. Well, Apple has tons of money to waste...

No comments:

Post a Comment